Wings of a Life time

Natalie - El Prado, New Mexico
Themes: death, family, legacy

I believe in special moments in life that are like no other. The moments that may be small but can capture your attention for years to come. Five years ago my dad died. I am now 14 but all through my life I will remember this story. When I was 6 my dad would take me to share his most passionate hobby: Paragliding. We used to live in Mexico, and every weekend my dad and I and maybe a few of my friends would go and watch my dad float in the wind as if he was meant to be a bird. He would sore over our village and then make a flawless landing that would keep some of my 4-year-old friends astonished for months to come. One day we were hiking up a mountain and the trees would cascade a beautiful arch around us. I remember that, that hike felt like it went on for months but it was probably only a few minutes. When finally we reached the top of the mountain, the breeze spiraled around us as if it were a cocoon, and all of my five senses were awakened by the sweet aroma of the hibiscus plants and the Bougainvilleas. You could see more than the minds eye could comprehend, and hear the fishing boats coming in with a fresh catch of red flounder. It was 2:00 PM and the time was right for take off. My dad opened his wings and they were every color of the rainbow. He let the wind slowly lift him up in the air and then carry him over the beach while the neighborhood kids ran in his shadow and screamed “Mira” “Mira.” Then he would land and my friends and I would scramble down the mountain as quick as we could and greet him as if he were a Roman God that just came landing down from the heavens. Then he would take my hand and together we would put back his wings, and then he would buy me a Coca-cola for 2 pesos. It is moments like that, that can seem to last a lifetime. Although in reality they are only a few seconds, minutes or hours. In my heart my dad will last forever. And that makes moments like these something to believe in, because they are special moments like no other.