Learn by Experience

zachary - Fort Worth, Texas

In my classes I am always trying to determine the truth, the reason being behind everything I ever learn. As I am sitting in class, the teachers are always teaching about the function of a part, how something was supposed to work and how that one part is made to work. The problem is that every item that we learn about only makes up a small part that is insignificant in itself. Though the teaching I have only learned how to operate that one part without ever learning what it is used for.

It is my senior year in college and I am beginning to realize that all this school work, all this learning is doing nothing. Learning about bipolar junction transistors and metal oxide semiconductors will do nothing outside of being able to identify which part is which what it does. I finally realize that sitting in a class hoping to learn something that will be useful throughout my career will do nothing except prove that I know what a few letters mean on a piece of paper. In order for me to have useful skills in the work place, I need to get out there and learn what it takes on my own, and that there is no teacher that will do that for you.

At the end of every year I felt the same way, that I didn’t accomplish anything, that I didn’t really learn anything that could improve my status beyond peon. Every year, I always thought the same thing; maybe my next class will allow me to obtain some hands on experience. It is only now that I realize that will never happen. I need to acquire that experience on my own and that is what they expected of me.

I have been sending in some applications. Getting a job is a fundamental experience that I have been lacking in. Trying to get a real job outside of the school is a trying experience. It takes time and careful writing to even be thought of in the job selection process. Even if your resume is good, it still relies a lot on just luck, you might not get accepted because the position was filled before the recruiter got to your resume.

Experience will never come to those who wait, but can only be obtained by those who want it enough to get it themselves. It may have taken me a while to understand this, but there will always be more time and opportunities in the future.