Our Power to Create Change

Doug - Lincoln, California
Themes: change

I believe in change. I believe that change is the single truth that we can guarantee into infinity. I believe that change can be consciously intended or passively accepted, and that what seems to be the absence of change – is in actuality change.

When I look at my own life, the life of others I know, and the lives of those I’ve read and heard about – all I see is change. I see my own life, how I transformed from a playful child, to a student athlete, to a salaried employee, to a business owner, to a husband and father, and how my body changed from being a healthy individual, to a cancer patient, back to a healthy individual again. It amazes me how resilient we are to the unceasing and relentless constant of change.

I believe that there is no such thing as controlling change, but that we have an incredible capacity to influence it. I know with all my being that change comes as quickly or goes as slowly as the decision to take action toward a specific goal. Upon deciding to take action, it may take days, weeks, months, years or even generations to realize change. Furthermore, over this time our goals, dreams and vision itself are subject to the whims of change – and that’s OK. Like navigating the flow of a river, we influence our outcomes when we ride with the current rather than fighting against it.

I believe that the biggest choice we make as a member of the community we call Earth is that of the role we would like to play in creating change. Every choice that we consciously intend or passively accept steers us towards a future that is constantly in flux – a creation of the decisions we make and the actions we take.

Understanding and believing in our power to create change is a step towards building the future of our dreams. Our connection with this power and a fundamental knowledge of the process of creating change provides hope and a sense of possibility, when and where little may have existed in the past. Furthermore, one must see this possibility for themselves to believe in it. Few can read or listen to a passage like this and simply buy into its principles without connecting to the meaning of the passage for themselves.

With all this talk about consciously creating a future that is full of change, I often get caught up in this world of possibility of what is to come – rather than the world in which I live in at this very moment. I believe that while we have an amazing capacity to create our future, that life takes place during the journey and not at the completion of our goal. Living and enjoying life in the midst of relentless change is every bit as important as guiding and crafting what the future brings.

This I believe.