I believe in giving

David - San Pablo, California

I believe that it is OK to use money to build relationships with people. My goal is to get into a conversation with the person and hopefully build a relationship. I have learned to wait on the results, like God has waited on me. In this effort, I am not usually gratified instantaneously. I have learned that some relationships will take a little time to build. Normally, it may take a routine cash donation from the same face (mine) at around the same time for anyone to get to know me. That’s okay, I shop here and work over there, and I come around pretty often. If they sit here and lay over there, we see each other pretty often and we have opportunities to communicate.

I know a lot of people look at it the other way around. They feel they should receive monetary compensation for the time they spend in “ministering.” Hoping to receive money for helping others is foolish, I think. I can’t look for compensation in the form of money for helping people come to know God. What could happen to me if God saw fit to give me money for my efforts? I need so many other things. Money might allow me a great health plan but can anyone but God keep me alive, really? Many rich people are suicidal or have become victims to suicide. Many of the famous singers and actors are in and out of rehabs and psychiatric wards. People with money grieve hard today. Violent crimes, kidnappings, internet seductions and so on have caused pain that no amount of money can heal. There are millions of sorrow-filled hearts that refuse to be comforted by the pretentious cures money offers. I would ask for diversity when it comes to anything God might want to give me. I realize I can’t place too much hope in money.

I believe knowing money can’t solve all my core issues helps me give it away for the sake of the kingdom. I don’t have a problem using it for the good of the Lord. People need money for what it can provide. For instance I know that money can jump start a relationship where it might otherwise never get off the ground. Anyone looking at money with a lust can come to know me by my offer. I can play on their wrong ideas about money get to know them. I didn’t always have this view of money. I didn’t used to know that it only acted as a salve to numb my problems but I do now. What’s the difference, more houses cars and jewelry won’t solve the problems for one population and neither will crack, crystal-meth and alcohol work out the problems for another. Everyone needs to bring their issues to the Lord and stop hiding behind anything, namely money. Some in designer clothing and others in rags but both groups are hiding.

I do get to share the goodness of the Lord, with the resources He has given me. It may not look like much to you, it doesn’t even look like much to me, but to some, it’s considered a great deal. I believe in giving.