I Believe in Friendship

Shauney Sherice - Toluca Lake, California

“I Believe in Friendship”

I believe in friendship. I think that these relationships can be of value to our

lives for many years. I’ve learned so much about myself through this experience, and

how to give selflessly. My best friend has been a part of my life since I

was two years old. I never realized the importance of this relationship, nor did I even

know that she was my best friend until recent years. I had not really understood

what being a friend really meant when I almost lost her due to unintentional selfish

acts. Through communicating I learned my boundaries, and in every friendship they

are necessary, even with best friends. I know my boundaries in this friendship and

respect and accept the decisions my friend makes for herself.

I remember when we would dress alike as kids but in different colors. We shared

many of the same interests, but our biggest passion was singing, and we would always

dress-up and act like performers. When I think back on our childhood moments, and how

our parents would look forward to these performances with their friends, it’s a nice

reflection. I can remember these weekly shows and her precious face displaying

innocence, with dreams and hopes of aspiring to be and contribute incredibly to the

world.

So many years later we are still together and supporting one another in some of

our most difficult times. However, this relationship as in many others has had its test of

time. I believe that time and circumstance give you an opportunity to look back and

reflect on the people in our lives past and present. So we’ve shared many experiences

and many sad and happy moments but most importantly we were not alone, because we

had each other. This is the relationship that I value most. No matter the distance nor the

challenge she has been with me the whole time, supporting me at all costs. Friendships

are important because true friends always tell you the truth even when you don’t want to

hear it. Friends accept you for who you are without judging you and most importantly

they provide consistency and loyalty for as long as you may want or accept it.

I believe that having friends means being a friend first and remembering what you

need and trying to be that for one another. There are defining moments in life where

you can look back and feel grateful for these relationships, as true friendship is hard to

come by. So I say with gratitude to my friend, my sister, who is but one half of me,

thank you for teaching me how to be a friend.