This I Believe – The Rush

Geoffrey - Tujunga, California

For those of us living here in Los Angeles, it is clear that everybody is always in some kind of unnecessary hurry and that mankind in general is trying so hard to accomplish the most in their limited life spans that in the end they’re forgetting what life may very well be all about. It’s certain that places such as New York, Tokyo, or other heavily populated locations are just as guilty of the mindless, stressful rush as my own home city. It is my firm belief that if people just slowed down and smelled the roses so to speak, they’d find a longer lasting and more satisfying life, and perhaps in doing so would achieve a perspective of a slower moving more relaxed world.

Frustration is an emotion one crosses paths with often in the freeways and congested streets of Los Angeles, but I am a firm believer that while it is inevitable that people will be caught in traffic, losing their veritable cool and acting recklessly or aggressively only makes things worse both emotionally and oftentimes physically. The way I see it, if you could simply crank up the radio and enjoy some tunes while steadily progressing to your destination, or at the very least enjoy some time to think out your life or your goals for the day – whatever tickles your fancy – you would gain a lot more than yelling and slapping your steering wheel in distress. Some shake their head at the concept of calming themselves down and taking advantage of their sluggish situations for a moment’s peace, but the truth is hurrying is useless when you have no choice, so there should be no reason to take it out on yourself or worse, your neighbors on the road.

The idea of slowing down and enjoying life doesn’t apply solely in traffic, on the contrary it is surely the best way for us to grow and enjoy doing it in any situation. A good example would be the way I take school – in the early years of high school it was a stressful affair having to cram a few hours of showering, grooming, readying,, departing, and learning into the morning period. Now, here in summer school, I take things slow. On my way to class I walk down the halls and I think about my life and what to do with it, think about the people I love, instead of pushing through the masses and hurrying to get in my seat. The outcome of the day is the exact same in the end. When I’m caught in traffic and my automobile is literally not moving, I take out a book and I expand my mind. Rushing has its time and place, it is up to us to discover just when it is. This is my firm belief.