To Be Still is to be Blessed

Danielle - morgantown, West Virginia

June 4, 2008. I believe the ability to be still through living simple and having patience is key to finding peace within your self. some people spend a lifetime in search to find peace. Soon they get lost in themselves in the journey, never finding their blessing.

At age eighteen I took a risk and hopped on a plane to West Virginia to begin a new life. I had big dreams and living in California would only hold me back. I came to live with my grandmother whom I’ve never met in my entire life. A few months later I was accepted to WVU. My grandmother was not your typical grandmother; she wanted nothing to do with me after those first six months in WV. In that same year I was left on my own.

Because I simply could not afford the college expenses, I took the year off from school to get myself together financially and mentally. This was the most challenging part of my life thus far. The first half of the year I became confused and depressed with my life. I didn’t know what to do. Most days I sat around the house moping around. As time went by I decided I had to make a change for myself for the better—I knew I didn’t want to go home. I had to take control of my attitude towards my life. So I called up a good friend of mine.

She expressed to me the importance of Patience. “Danielle, do not worry, you are going to make it and all things will pass, be patient and learn to be still. To be still is to be blessed” said my friend. In this moment my mind had been freed from the inner noises and negativity it possessed. The rest of the year, I got myself together and enrolled back into school the following summer. I am truly blessed to have found peace in life.

They say slow and steady wins the race and I believe this is true. Patience demands simplicity and the need for stillness. I believe that if a person finds these two, they will find their own blessing. Mine was getting back into school.