Life is best lived in the moment

Nancy - Norman, Oklahoma

This I Believe – Life is best lived in the moment

Owen stood up, I sat down and he leaned into me while I helped him with his art project. There were many things swirling around in my life on that Wednesday afternoon. My dad was in declining health far away from me, my daughter was once again in crisis mode, my son was gallivanting around South America, Owen was being his usual difficult self and this art project was going to take me a long time to clean up after the kids were gone. But I took that moment, that precious gift that little boy gave me of warmth, trust and innocence. I took in the laughter, the busyness of the room, his soft lisp and my sticky gluey fingers. Life was good in that moment and that was enough.

Today Sofia is chattering with a 4 year old stream of consciousness that is marvel to behold. Every little thing that comes into her view is worth talking about. I have a choice, do I enter her bright and wonder filled world or do I worry about her in our world? What is to become of this beloved granddaughter? What kind of world was she going to have to navigate? What can I do? STOP!!! PAY ATTENTION!!! I take a deep breath, let it go, take hold of her hand, and as we meander through our day and our many conversations I impart my pearls of wisdom: look both ways before you cross the street, don’t walk up to strange dogs, let the dog smell your hand before you pet it, don’t be afraid to hold a bug, crack the egg on the flat surface of the counter, home baked cookies are the best kind, clean your paintbrush between color changes, your creations are marvelous gifts, treat others the way you want to be treated, God loves everyone, Bubbie loves you, sharing is good, winning is fun but not as important as playing fair. She crawls up into my lap to tell me she loves me at the end our busy day together. This is heaven, this day, this moment is all I really have and it is all I need.

Living in the moment has taught me to deal with what ever comes in that moment. When I am mad, I let myself be mad and then I get over it. When I am hurting physically or mentally I let myself hurt, I cry if I need to, and then I let it go. When I am happy I revel in that moment, when I am sad I accept that moment. Peace of mind and sanity come to me by dealing with what come my way rather than pushing it aside.

In Luke Jesus tells us not worry about the future. I think He was telling us to live in the moment because the past can’t be changed and the future is not ours to control.