Being able to See even when your Blind

geraldine - panaroma city, California

I grew up with my father being blind from the time I was born. I never thought he was different because he did most of the things that the other dads did except drive. When I was about six years old my dad and I went walking down the street to the school for parent teacher night. He used to were these dark green glasses that helped him see the shadows of some things. He also used to use a red and white cane as a guide. When we got to the school kids were looking at us as if we were from outer space. They all said hi to me, even the ones who never talked to me, and I just smiled. When we went into the class the teachers talked to my dad just like all the other parents, but they explained in more detail some of the things he could not see. The next day a lot of kids came up to me and asked, “What is wrong with your dad? I said, “Nothing, why”? “ Why did he have that stick.” I said, “That’s a cane.” I then told them my dad is blind. The kids looked at me and said he can’t see anything, I said no just a shadow here and there. I never had anyone ask me questions like that before, because every one I had been around knew my dad and knew he was blind.

As time went on and I got older I found out that my dad could do just about anything he wanted. Despite not having sight he didn’t sit around and feel sorry for himself and do nothing, even though he didn’t get to graduate from high school because he had to get a job and help out at home. When he became a grown man, even though he was blind he still had goals in life and things he wanted to do. Learn­ing to play the organ, piano, and the guitar were a few. He learned to tap dance because he wanted to teach the other blind people at the Braille Institute what he enjoyed doing so much. In his late Thirties he went back to school to become a masseur. It took him about two years and he finished third in his class. I learned a lot from my father. I believe just because you can’t see it does not mean life stops. It means you just have to see it in a different way, as my father did.