I believe in Perseverance

Narges - Encino, California

I Believe in Perseverance

Last year, I gave my two- weeks notice to the dentist whom I worked for as a dental assistant. I was not happy with that job because of two reasons: First I was

overqualified for that job, and second, the doctor expected me to take care of all the

patients who came for regular cleaning because I had three years experience working as a dentist in Iran. But I was not a licensed hygienist, and that could cause me problems. During my last days working at the office, a woman came there and applied for that job.

Sherri was also a dentist from Iran, but she had much more experience than I had.

She looked almost sixty years old, and she had worked twenty years in Iran as a dentist. In

order to be a licensed dentist in California, she had to pass three national exams. When I

saw her at that point, she had passed two of them, and she wanted to get a job to save

some money, so she could be able to pay for the exorbitant costs of the last exam and the

equipment that she needed to practice. Sherri invited me to her apartment to show me the

references that I needed to study for the exams. Her husband and her children were not

living with her at that time because she had just come to California to pass the test and

wanted to be established, and then her family would join her. At that time she hardly

could afford to have the basic necessities for living. She told me up to that point she had

spent forty thousands dollars for her equipment and the books and registration fees.

I didn’t see it in myself to save this much money by working as a dental assistant,

so I was very happy when I was informed that the law has been changed, and the foreign

dentists would have to go to a dental school for two years¾ of course after passing two

national boards. Therefore, they could borrow loans for the costs of their education.

A few months later, Sherri passed the last exam, and got a job as a dentist. Now, she helps me whenever I have questions. She is a very determined person. She could settle for being a dental assistant, so she wouldn’t pay so much money for her exams and wouldn’t go through all those hard exams, which is like starting over from the first year of dental school. However, she did all this because she was not content with being an assistant in the U.S. after twenty years working as a dentist in Iran. The way that Sherri fought for her education is an example of sacrifice.

I don’t seek contentment in staying at the same level, while I am able to change the situation. I believe in perseverance and patience.