Gabriela - North hollywood, California

What do people most believe in? I believe that we shouldn’t worry so much about materialism. A lot of us care so much about priceless things but when they die, all the nice stuff is just going to be left behind.

It is nice to have something beautiful and expensive. But the way I see it, we’re not always going to base our lives on material things. Why can’t people make the best out of simple things? My mother has raised me to live life worrying less about such materialistic stuff. Many of us do not know the value of what we have while others waste money on worthless things. Those who have experienced the life of the poor and rich might have an idea of what I’m talking about.

When I was a little girl my dad was rich. He came from a rich family and back in the 80’s the farm and the cocoa used to be really profitable. My father was the owner of three big farms and had everything from cows, pigs, chickens and horses, to vegetables and fruits. The cocoa season was huge and made a lot of money. Eventually, he lost everything due to a virus that was going around and killed all the cocoa. He had to rely on selling fruits, vegetables and some of his cows. He loved to take care of the animals but soon had to get rid of them to make the money.

My mother used to work as a receptionist at a big company but her salary wasn’t good enough. Ever since my father lost a lot of money from the products on his farm, we had to find another way to live in a wealthy style. The economy was not the best in Brazil so we moved to the United States for a better life and to start from zero.

As I was growing up, I started to notice the value of the things around me. I went to elementary school, middle school, high school and now I’m in college. In today’s world we have a lot people who do not notice what is around them. They do not know the value of a dollar and yet they go out and spend enormous amounts of money on little things. What is the point of spending all that money when you know you can spend that money wisely on other things? Maybe we should donate some money to charities or at least buy something that is worth it. My family and I learned to pay attention to the small things in life and appreciate them more as we get older. We learned that in order to want something you have to work hard to earn it. My parents and I learned how to live life the simple way and yet still be happy unlike other people who have everything and live their life in a miserable way.