I Believe in a Lot of Things

Randy - Birchwood, Mississippi

This is what I believe.

I believe in love, and passion. Democracy and decency are critical to a just society. I believe in my family, children, siblings, parents and in-laws. I think highly of skipping. Twinkling stars, fireflies and northern lights over a lake are hard to beat. I hardily recommend a loyal dog and a hearty breakfast. I’ve found volunteering usually gives you back more than you give. Jokes, silly riddles and laughter can never be overrated. Winning a prize at the county fair in any category is fantastic. Doing anything with a friend(s) is worth doing; and a simple walk to traveling with my best friend – my wife, is the ultimate trip. Follow the advice others with wisdom, and common sense (but the hard part is separating the wheat from the chaff). Don’t act your age and don’t be afraid to try new things. Act with grace and courtesy. Talk to everyone and treat them like you want to be treated; and when you are doing this compliment and inquire – you’ll learn more than you could reading and you might make some new friends in the bargain. You will receive a body – use it and don’t abuse it. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Learning does not end. “There” is not better than “here;” don’t wish your life away; life cannot be a series of regrets; what you make of your life is up to you. Make goals, keep track of them, and DO them – don’t just think about them. Don’t blame others for your (or your children’s) problems. You will not win the Powerball; but the best Powerball is a wonderful wife and healthy, happy children. Render onto the Caesars in life what is theirs – taxes pay for things you, your children, grandchildren and others use today or someday will use. Someone eventually has to do the dishes. No one ever has been buried with their fancy dishes. You don’t need to color inside the lines all of the time. Don’t ever hurt a child; ever, ever, ever. Be proud of what you do. When in doubt, take the high road, or what would your mother say – the heck with the front page of the paper. Don’t get, or act or do stupid. Enjoy life, don’t just go through it. Life rewards those who show up. Keep a journal. Keep your word. Being kind is more important than being right. Money doesn’t buy class. You can’t say I love you enough. People, Especially children are assets, not problems. Sex changes everything.

Finally, believe in the mysterious – face it, there are some things we just can’t figure things out. But, on the other hand, I believe one shouldn’t give up, rather one should keep trying and learn even more – and once you learn something new, play it forward. I hope you will too. Isn’t this the cornerstone of one’s legacy?