Uncertain Truth

Tiana-Lei - Camas, Washington

What we cannot see is entirely mysterious and unknown. With each new discovery we can see more, and therefore understand more. We cannot see air, waves beyond the color spectrum, or other possible dimensions. We cannot hear under 20Hz or above 20,000Hz and are limited to our physical embodiment. What exists in these unknown continuums? Perhaps these are all the answers to our existence; the undeniable truth that connects every missing piece of an infinite puzzle.

Yet, what we can see is not always a noble representation of the truth. Our minds are professional magicians, creating illusions and taking advantage of our gullibility. Omitting details of the truth is not an uncommon occurrence and our minds often fill gaps in our memory with what seems reasonable. Furthermore, we lie to others and ourselves about the truth in an attempt to construct a protective armor around our fearful minds.

The truth is constantly changing. Contrary to what ancient beings thought, the world is not flat, the moon is not made of cheese, and the sun and stars do not revolve around the Earth. How much of what we believe today is the truth? Will it stand strong for hundreds of years to come? Or will it collapse as a new “truth” proves to be more credible?

What we believe to be the “truth” provides the basic foundation to all our beliefs. Whether our beliefs are right or wrong is not a concern to society. Conflicting faiths threaten peace. Skewed beliefs about beauty, love, and happiness have fashioned a materialistic world where our egos and dangerous desires thrive. People fight, kill, and die for what they believe in. Imagine that the truth is exposed, that we are no longer fooled by what we think we know, and hindered by what we do not know. What will still stand?

I often ask myself these questions. I wonder how I can really support any of my beliefs when there is so much I do not know. Every belief about faith and reality, every idea that I say, “I believe in,” do I really believe in it? I have experienced many times where the core of something I believed so strongly in had ruptured. Learning new “truths” have turned my beliefs into a never-ending tug-of-war. I could write about something I believe in today, pro-choice for instance, and feel differently about it in a year from now. So what do I believe in? There is one belief, behind all of my beliefs, which I truly believe in.

I believe in truth and that we cannot discern the truth, for it exists beyond our intellectual capacity. Our beliefs about truth are always changing, for we are fooled by our minds, limited by our mortality, and molded by society. Yet our beliefs about what is true are all we really have; perhaps they are not true at all. Nonetheless, one belief will stand indefinitely: the truth exists and, if nothing else at all, I believe in it.