I Believe In Having Good Fun

Connor - Honolulu, Hawaii
Themes: place, pleasure

“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible,” Walt Disney once said. And by impossible, he meant the out of the ordinary type. But you don’t need to do impossible activities to get a kick out of things. When the time came for me to take a break from my “daily life”, I went on a trip to Disneyland. There I discovered the true magic and meaning of fun. I had no idea what to expect, but it’s wondrous lessons that I so desperately needed. I learned that whether it’s going outdoors or on a trip, it’s always a great idea to have some time off. I believe in having good fun.

A really tough time of my life was near the end of middle school. I had recently taken the SSAT, completed my sport season, and wrapped up my quarter grades. After all this, I needed to get away from my teachers and school. I mean far, far, away. I could barely stand the thought of looking at my classrooms much longer. Then the perfect solution came about: a vacation to the happiest place on Earth. I don’t mean just a visit to California, but to Disneyland. Who wouldn’t want to go there? It was just what I needed, an entertaining place away from home.

While there, it truly felt as if I was in another world. I gazed upon skyscraper rides, where I could hear shrieking screams. I also didn’t have to worry about running into any of my teachers outside of school. With these bonuses and more, it ultimately turned into my kind of paradise. I found a place that allowed me to put my problems behind for a while. I couldn’t just forget about them, but it gave me time to recuperate. My mind got to relax in a meaningful way, not boring at all. For me, it even felt as if time stopped.

In fact, it wasn’t until much later that I realized how valuable it really was. I also got to put my extra energy into more family bonding. I learned that I’d have to leave at some point, but that I’d always have my wacky family along with me. When we got ready to head back home, I felt a lot calmer too. Looking back upon it, I am grateful for those amusing moments that really benefited me. The memories were quite invigorating, and without it, I would have continued to be a volatile ticking bomb, waiting to explode.

So today I really cherish all the times I just have fun. I’m more aware of what’s it like without it, but I’d rather be more familiar with it. If for some reason, I’m ever again close to reaching breaking point, I take a few moments to relax, cool off, while also making it delightful. Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste said Walt Disney. I’ll admit that I too get caught up in schoolwork, but will never forget the importance of life. Life is too short to be miserable. I believe that it should be enjoyable, delightful, but most of all fun.