I Believe In Ending This War

Brandi - Mililani, Hawaii

I Believe in Ending the War.

My dad, he was something special, he was always cracking jokes, making us laugh, and taking us everywhere. My life seemed complete with parents that were always there for me, and a sister that was just full of overwhelming joy. That was until I got the dreaded news that my dad was leaving on his deployment. After a year with out him, my view on this war changed. I believe in ending this war. A war that is supposed to bring freedom surely doesn’t feel like it’s bringing freedom. It’s bringing broken hearts, loved ones leaving, and sadness.

It the morning of February 7th when it finally struck me, as my dad waved his hand out the window of that big blue bus. Tears were slowly streaming down my already puffed up face. I looked at my mom as she waved good-bye with my sister in her arms. That was it he would be gone for 1 whole year. The first day, after telling him goodbye was the hardest, all three of us sitting on the cold kitchen floor just staring at each other in pity. We didn’t know how to cope with the first day let alone the rest of the year. We thought of all the millions of people that had to go through this, it must have been rough. Weeks’ passed, and that’s when I noticed my mom’s attitude changing towards life. Just looking in her eyes killed me. Some nights I would hear her crying. I knew that those tears running down her were tears of happiness, but those were the tears of a broken heart. Being the oldest sister I felt that I had to be the strong one so every night I would do my best to make life seem better for my mom and sister. When my mom or sister would cry in hurt I would stand there, not crying but trying to be the strong one. It was really tough to see so much hurt and loneliness. Though he was gone every night we would all gather around the web cam and talk to him as if he was still with us. We’d tell him how are day was, how school was, and he would even scold us on the web cam or phone. It was a reassuring feeling know that he was there and safe.

Every night I would think to myself when is the darn war going to end? Why can’t they just stop the war already? I wish that we could make a difference. A difference in the fight to stop war, just bringing peace back to this god-forsaken world would heal so much. That would be the biggest change we had yet.