I Believe In Traveling

Sara - Mililani, Hawaii

My fingers tapped the armrest on the plane. I waited and waited until I finally saw land appearing outside the oval window. My hand pressed the glass as I whispered to myself, “finally.” I turned to my seat and waited until I felt the plane going down slowly getting closer to land. I felt my whole body rumbling as the wheels hit the hard asphalt. I retrieved my bags, and stepped out of the airport into a place I had never been before. When words that described my excitement started pouring out of my mouth, I knew my trip to Europe was going to be memorable

Traveling to different countries is something I absolutely love because I experience different cultures and try new things. Summer of 2006, I traveled to Europe with twenty Latin classmates and chaperons. We took a plane to Los Angeles, to Germany, to Greece, and an over-night ferry to Italy. When I arrived in Italy, I saw many things we wouldn’t ever see back home. As our tour guide showed us around, there were beggars sleeping directly in front of entrances of stores, entertainers playing music with crystal glasses, and artists’ drawing large faces with chalk on the sidewalk. I saw miniature cars and mopeds driving all over the streets and narrow alleys with stores. There were hardly any crosswalks, and almost everybody walked on the road instead of the sidewalk.

On our trip, we went to the island of Capri, Florence, Rome, and Sorrento. My favorite was Florence. It took around two and a half hours from Rome to get there and when we arrived, our large group separated into smaller groups. In the day’s period I learned new things like, how to shop and bargain with sellers, how to properly eat spaghetti, and how to keep our belongings safe. When we bargain and buy, we always bargain lower then the seller’s offer and never buy things from someone who holds their products in a bag or with their arms. In Italy, when we order spaghetti, the waiter gives you a spoon and fork. The way to eat it is to twirl your spaghetti in the spoon so it doesn’t splatter. There are also a lot of people who pick pockets, so our pockets must be empty, and we always keep our bags in front of us in crowded areas.

The plane ride home was longer then going. I was excited to finally go home, but I was sad I had to leave a place I loved. All my Italy experiences were running through my head. I believe I learned a lot from my trip to Europe. I was able to live in a foreign country for two weeks, and I had to adjust the way I lived. Even though I probably won’t be going back soon, I plan on going back to Europe in the far future to continue living the Italian culture. I sat impatiently as the plane flew thousands of feet above the ocean. My fingers tapped the armrest on the plane. I waited and waited until I finally saw land appearing outside the oval window. My hand pressed the glass as I whispered to myself, “finally.”