The Betrayal

Judith - Lexington, North Carolina
Age Group: 65+

I was married February 8, 1964 and moved to Savannah, Georgia where my husband was stationed with the US Air Force. I became pregnant and had our beautiful daughter. We had moved back to Lexington and built a home and everything was wonderful.

We both loved the beach and found a wonderful apartment at Topsail Island where we would go several times a month and for weeks at a time. We left our boat down there and we fished all the time because that is what we both loved. We made friends with everyone around and everyone started coming down every time we went down. We would have big cook-outs and hang out together on the beach.

We had a particular friend who we were very close to. He had been married a couple of times and divorced and then he married for the third time to a woman who had been married three or four times and she became a good friend, too. She and I were very close. Our male friend had heart problems and he died. After that, we became more close to his wife and felt sorry for her. Practically everything we did, she was included because she was lonely and she was such a good friend.

At this time, we had been married about 32 years. We were at the beach for a week’s vacation of fishing in our boat and Hurricane Fran was on the Atlantic Coast. My husband and my friend decided we should stay at Topsail because Fran wasn’t coming in on our Island. I didn’t think it was a good idea to stay; however, I did know they were very close, (maybe, too close) and I decided to stay. Did I say that my husband had developed a drinking problem through the years? He had become a functioning alcoholic and I was one of the few people who knew this. Needless to say, Hurricane Fran hit Topsail Island with a vengeance and destroyed everything, including our apartment. The walls were destroyed by the storm surge and we were all washed out of the apartment and finally all got to a light pole and held on for over 3 hours until we could get to the friend’s condo which happened to be standing.

That was the beginning of the nightmare. We lost our vehicle, boat, and apartment, everything that we had stored at the beach. We walked off the Island the next day and nothing was recognizable. It was horrible to see all the destruction and devastation. Over a period of time, the devastation really hit. We had replaced our vehicle and our boat and purchased a big camper which we set up on a leased lot on the beach. I knew immediately when the affair actually started. The wife is not the last one to know if she has a brain and knows her husband. In the beginning I was not sure how I would make it without him because we had been together so long. When he left with his belongings, I felt a huge relief wash over me and I have not missed him the first time.

I had not been happy in so long, I really didn’t remember what happiness was. I can tell you that today I am happier than I can ever remember being. Life is wonderful.

I can’t say I hope they are happy because I don’t hope that. I can’t say I can ever forgive either of them because I know I never will. I will never forget what they did because at that time it broke my heart because I lost my husband and my best friend. Betrayal by those closest to you is a terrible thing. I have always heard “what goes around comes around” and “you reap what you sow”, and I certainly do hope that is true.

Just over two years ago the alcohol caught up with him and he had heart problems and almost died. In 2006, we were blessed with a Grandson. I am with him all the time and he is the absolute love of my life. I cannot imagine life without him. His Popaw loves him dearly but he only has pictures and the occasional visit for a day or so at a time. Do I feel sorry for him? Sure, I do!