A Shopping Trip

Michelle - Warren, Michigan

A Shopping Trip

One cold winter day my sister Amanda and I went to Meijer to get some groceries. My dad had given us one hundred dollars to go shopping with. We bought all of the basic food like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, and a few other things. Then we went and got all of our toiletries like face wash, soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and deodorant. It didn’t look like we had more then a hundred dollars worth of groceries so we got in line to pay. When Amanda and I got up to the register and everything was getting scanned, the total came up to one hundred and five dollars and thirty-seven cents. We obviously didn’t have enough money to pay for it. I was going to take a few items away, but just then a middle-aged woman that was in line behind us tapped me on the shoulder. She handed me six dollars even. I told her I couldn’t take it. The middle-aged woman said that if someone is in need of something and you have it then you should give it to them because you never know when you’re going to be in their position. I took the money and said “Thank you very much.” She looked at me with a big smile on her face and said “You’re welcome.”

This incident has taught me a great deal. My philosophy doesn’t only apply to money, but to anything. In summer school a girl Taylor, was absent one day and missed all the work. I gave her my packet of work for the day she missed. She got all of the credit back. Another time this philosophy was applied was when my boyfriend’s mom took him and me out to eat a few times and paid for us. One day we didn’t have anything to eat, so I treated all of us. It was also applied when my sister Amanda just had a baby about a month ago. She doesn’t have a car or anyway to get anywhere but to walk. When she has a doctor’s appointment or needs to go to the store, I am the first person she calls. A few years ago when I didn’t have a car, she took me to my doctor’s appointments.

I believe that if someone is in need of something and you have it you should give it to them because you never know when you will be in their position. I strongly feel that this philosophy is true. Even though I have lost a great deal in my life, I still live up to this philosophy every day.