John, Paul, George, and ringo

Benjamin - cheswick, Pennsylvania

They are poets, goons, angry young men, magicians, pilots, and hippies. They pick me up when I’m feeling blue, give me confidence, and make me think.

Whenever I feel down Paul McCartney lifts my spirits with an up beat tempo and catchy tune. He will sing, I will sing, and we will connect. His voice is like a boat that sails to my happy place. Once when I returned from playing basketball and I was infuriated with the terrible refs, I turned on “Hey Jude.” In about eight minutes my day had done a complete 360 from terrible to terrific.

When I’m feeling timid and meek and I hear John Lennon sing about revolution and love, I’m lifted to a state of self-confidence. His voice carries an air of sureness. Through a three minute song I feel as though I could take over the world. The Beatles also make me confident because some of their subject matter was so groundbreaking for the time that they had to have all the confidence in the world to push against the beliefs of the pop label. They wrote songs about meter maids and bulldogs showing self confidence and a goony sense of humor. They sang about Pepperland and yellow submarines bringing them to life almost like magic.

As well as these qualities, The Beatles also make me think. On some hot summer day when nothing good is on television and I am not really doing anything, I will listen to the stories they tell. Then for hours on end I will see images of submarines, women in the sky, and crying guitars float through my head. These images lead to thoughts of my own which then turn into songs, drawings, and poems. Their songs lead to many conversations with friends and strangers alike. I talk to everyone i meet about them. This year, when I met my friend Ryan, the first question I asked him was “What do you think about Help?” Other times my friends and I have heated debates over Sergeant Pepper’s or Abbey Road.

They also stand against their fans with songs like “Revolution.” This song says throughout it that revolution is happening but it isn’t needed. With lines like “won’t give my money to people with minds that hate” he is saying that the hippie ideals are lost. It takes guts to stand up to your fans and tell them to rethink their values.

The Beatles’ ability to make me think and feel constantly astonishes me. They have a hold on me so strong I feel as though I need to listen to them every day to be fulfilled. Through songs of hope, peace, and love the Beatles piloted a confused generation through tough times.