My Blessings in Disguise

Lagi - West Valley City, Utah

I believe that suffering has blessings in disguise and can bring you closer to God.

I used to wonder why God allows suffering. But I’ve come to believe that God’s trying to make us stronger, though I don’t think He likes seeing us hurt.

I felt that way about God after my mom and brother got in a near fatal car accident when I was nine. A 22 yr. old man ran a red light and totaled my brother’s truck. The man said otherwise to the police, but he was free despite his suspended license, uninsured vehicle and his toddler in the back seat. Glass shards buried in my brother’s shoulder, my mom’s arms and legs laid like a broken bloody toy in the backseat half dead, I thought about how he not only hurt people I loved, but lied about how it happened and got away with it.

At least he and his toddler were fine, and my brother could walk and talk, because my mom would never walk again.

My family found this life altering. Since my dad is also sick with bipolar, schizophrenia, and manic depression, doctors suggested putting my parents in nursing homes since both are ill. But sticking to Samoan culture, mom and dad were cared for at home.

As my dad is able-bodied, he quit his job to help care for the woman he loved most. My whole family now became her mother. Life changed because of it as my mom came home in her wheelchair. I began to learn many things from how to flush and change her IVs to fixing her sore dressings. “And don’t forget your gloves!” she always reminds me. I sometimes felt like a real nurse with gloves on. But the real nurses I emulated also helped the family care for my mom and became good family friends.

Along with the nurses and my family, I’m so glad to still have my mom around. Before her accident, she worked 16 hours a day with two to three jobs. Besides Saturdays and Sundays, I almost never saw her. But as the breadwinner finances were no problem. Although my family struggles to make ends meet with money now, at least I see her and my dad more; They’re actually in the know on what’s going on in our lives now.

Having my family closer together because of this whole ordeal made me believe more than ever that there really is a God. Everything I have wouldn’t be there without Him. I go to a Catholic private school though there’s little money. I still have a house though my parents can’t work. I still have my mom and dad. So I consider everything in my life a miracle because God beat the odds for me. Now I’m 16 and I try even harder to not take things for granted, because no matter how blessed I am to have what I have, no tomorrow is guaranteed today. Everyone and everything I have in my life are all my blessings in disguise.