Ossama bin Laden and the War Between the Westerners and the Muslims

david - LOS ANGELES, California

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, THE OSSAMA BIN LADENS AGAINST THE WEST

The West, and the Middle East, are now once again at war, and they are where they are today because of Martin Luther, the founder of the Protestant religion of Europe.

After Luther broke with the aged fundamentalist Catholic Church in 1517, he also broke with its prohibition of interest, and the Northern Europeans became free to charge interest on money.

Charging interest was something the Catholic Church despised, beause its wealth was not money but land. That’s all it had. Proof of this is that at one time Catholic priests were allowed to have women, that is, to have sex with them, and children. The practice was discontinued by the Church, because children born out of wedlock were making claims to the wealth of the Church, its land. To protect their land they oulawed priests having women, and children. But the Catholics remain plagued by their fear of sex, which has caused its practitioners to have sex with children.

With the ability to charge interest on loaned money, capitalism flourished. People with money invested in many things, of course in commerce, but also in the things that led to the development of the West, things like steam engines. The steam engine and all the other inventions created the Industrial Revolution.

One of the effects of the Industrial Revolution was to raise the cost of labor to run all the new factories. Once that happened, ordinary laboring people got a little money and time, and they could take part in the life of their nations. This led to the creation of democracy. The West is now composed mostly of democracies.

The Industrial Revolution also led to the technological superiority of the West, beginning with England. As a result, England, and other Northern European countries like France and Germany, which had also gone through the Industrial Revolution, used their technological, and newly gained financial, superiority, to conquer the world, including the Middle East, with their powerful navies, in the nineteenth century.

Ossama bin Laden cliaims that he is upset that Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia have recently made oil deals with Western countries like the United States, and come into its influence.

Incidentally, one of the reasons the United States is a great and influential country is, not only because it is made of immigrant stock, but precisely because it began during the Industrial Revolution, and so it escaped the great limitations of monarchies and feudalism. Latin America has not escaped the tyranny of kings. During the colonial period all power flowed from the King. Today, all power flows still flows through their leaders, the purported Presidents, and that is why much of Latin America, with a few exceptions such as Chile, which was colonized by the British, is still pretty feudal.

But it seems clear that people like Ossama bin Laden and the Muslims who follow him, who have yet not gone through the Industrial Revolution, are also still upset about the West’s past conquest of the Middle East.

The Middle East were conquered after they went downhill after Portuguese sailors found a way to go around the Cape of Good Hope to go to the Orient, and back, just before 1500. This made the Middle Easterners lose their monopoly over the land trade routes from the Orient, which had been the source of the wealth that had led to its flowering long ago, when it had great science and art. Yet today, even with petrodollars, there are virtually no democracies

Perhaps because the Muslims have not yet through the Industrial Revolution, they are mired in religion. This is unlike the West, which for many reasons, including the Industrial Revolution, and capitalism, and commerce and industry, and also science and Darwin and the knowledge of evolution, is not that mired in it.

Often, it seems that this is all the Muslims have. This certainly seems to be the only thing that we talk about, besides the fact that they sit over oil. We talk about their attempt to rule through Seventh Century religion, the Sharia. We also talk about the burkhas and scarves that to hide the beauty and allure of women, their hair and their bodies. It seems that the Muslims have acquired a religious fear of women, perhaps like the Orthodox Jews. The Catholics, of course, are afraid of any sex.

We also talk about the the Muslim, Middle Eastern obsession with their belief in Mohammad, including the fighting over the succession of Mohammad, as expressed by the continuing deadly fights between Sunnis and Shiites. This is why Sunni nations like Saudi Arabia now fear that Iraq will become a Shiite power like Iran. This is even though Iraq ironically fought Shiite Iran when it was run by the Sunni Sadam Hussein (who has been conveniently disappeared from the Earth, so that we have not found out the full horrors he inflicted on his people)..

The Middle East seems to have a long way to go, further than Asia, which is now propelling itself rapidly into the Twenty First Century.

The bottom line is that the Middle East is not going to escape its splintered self, and arrive at the Twenty First Century, until it finds a Luther who will destroy the power of religious fundamentalists such as Ossama bin Laden.