My Journey To A Dream

Meredith - Waltham, Massachusetts

My journey begins! In 1987, I was a freshman in high school and while playing basketball; suffered a fall and ruptured two disks in my spine. I knew that nothing was going to stop me from doing the things that I loved. There were many distractions and many different roads that I took along the way to end up where I am today in my life. Nursing is a career I had longed for. A dream I had thought I would never achieve. A dream that is closer now than I could have ever imagined.

After my fall and throughout my four years as a high school student, I spent many days and nights in the hospital. Nothing, short of back surgery, seemed to work with the pain that I felt day in and day out. Being surrounded by such wonderful and professional medical personnel imprinted a stamp in my hopes of one day fulfilling the reflection of surrealism.

When I graduated high school, due to the lack of monetary dismay, I enrolled at Nocera School of Hair Design in Watertown, Massachusetts. Graduated nine months later and worked as a stylist for six years. In 1998, I was blessed with the news of a pregnancy. Although, very unexpected, it was a blessing that not all can encounter. Marriage and a bountiful baby boy encompassed my life for the next year, soon to end in divorce and a role as a single parent.

I enjoyed being a hairstylist. It empowered me great pay and allowed for many extra advantages in my life that I would have not been privy to otherwise, but the schedule that must be kept no longer fit into my new lifestyle. In 2000, I obtained a job working at The Fessenden School Day Care Center. I was able to go to work and collect a paycheck and my son was able to attend the same day care center at no charge. What could have been better? The opportunity was too great to pass up.

It is presently 2008, and I am still employed at The Fessenden School Day Care Center. My son is now nine years old and is going into the fourth grade at our local elementary school. At the ripe young age of 34, I am currently attending evening classes at Massachusetts Bay Community College in Framingham. I am in my second year of studies and last September was accepted into their Associates Degree of Nursing (ADN) program. I have just finished my first set of clinical rounds at Newton Wellesley Hospital and am in awe of the wonderful exciting new world I am becoming apart of. I will graduate in December 2010 with my Associates in Nursing and plan to take the state boards in January 2011 to obtain my Registered Nursing license.