Christianity Belief Essay

Ryan - Newburgh, Indiana

This I Believe Essay

I believe that misinterpretation of the Bible has created a religious branch of Christianity that keeps the unchurched from experiencing true Christianity. I believe this because I have learned of it at church camp, and at my own church. Christianity no longer seems that appealing to people looking for spirituality in their lives because it has been tainted by those who seek an interpretation of the Bible that best suits their wants. For example, one man may read in the Bible that Christ followers are to accept everyone into their church, and he invites everyone he meets to his church. This is found in Matthew where Jesus is asked why he is hanging around sinners. He replies that sinners are the ones that need to learn how to be saved, not those who are already saved. Another man may read this passage, but he decides not to let certain people into his church because he doesn’t want “sinners” tainting the people at his church, Even though the Bible states in Romans 3:23 that “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” This is a deliberate misinterpretation according to what one man thinks, what the other man decided is not what the Bible says to do.

In the Bible it clearly states that baptism by immersion is the physical act of declaring that one is saved. However, the Bible also states that to be saved, one only has to believe that God sent Jesus to die for us because of our sin, and that we need to repent of our sins. Yet some believe that one must be baptized to be saved. Then there are those who believe that sprinkles of water count as baptism. Neither of these two misinterpretations can be found anywhere in the Bible. These misinterpretations of the Bible can be seen in the different Christian denominations such as Catholicism, Lutheranism, and Presbyterianism. Not only these types, but churches of all denominations misinterpret the Bible for their own purposes sometimes. One of the worst misinterpretations is thinking that “sinners” are not allowed to come into our churches.

Our churches should be welcoming everyone in with open arms, because that is how “sinners” can overcome their sin. I believe that there is a religious branch of Christianity that keeps the unchurched from experiencing true Christianity. It is my hope that this religious branch will be cut down and its faults exposed so that real Christianity can be seen by those who need it most.