Annie - Greensboro, North Carolina

This past year I have realized how grateful I’ am. Twice a month I went with my church youth group to cook food for the families at Pathways. Pathways is a place for families that have little money and may or may not have a job. They can live there until they can afford living on their own. Pathways help them get on their feet. I love going there and seeing all the little kids. But not every visit is fun. Many times I went to Pathways, there was a child crying or being hit. It makes me really sad. I just want to go over and help that child. But there is nothing really I could do as kid myself. I believe that children should be treated with love and respect through their lifetime.

Sometimes at Pathways I actually saw parents hit their child for a weird reasons like getting out of their chair or not eating all their food. I believe that is wrong to hit a child for getting out of their chair and I just fell that it is wrong for a child to be hit at all. Some times it makes me feel sick inside, just watching that child go through pain for no good reason. Sometimes I saw parents at Pathways bring in belts to hit their kids for stupid reasons. My mom works at a public school and she tells me stories about children at her school being thrown into walls or a kid being hit out side of their head unexpectedly. That’s one reason I probably couldn’t work in a school. But I know that things like that are happening everyday in our world. Every minute of the day there is a kid being abused for doing nothing. It makes me think about those kids that have to go through that pain. I wish that there were something I could do to help them. I wish I could adopt those kids. But I’m only a kid. When I get older I will try to help anyone being abused for any reason. I believe that children should be treated with love and respect through their lifetime.

It makes us think when was the last time we went with out food, clothing, or maybe money. But there is a ton of kids in the world that have none of those things. I believe it is unfair for children to be born and then hit nonstop through their life. It may or may not affect those kids when they get older. Some get over the past and some are haunted for the rest of their life. Knowing all these things are happening in the world makes me want to be nice to everyone. I don’t know what they are going through. They might be mean to me cause they don’t know how to deal with their problems, so they let it out to their friends. I wish there was a way for those children to get help. I wish there was a way to get them help. I can’t wait to be old enough to help kids around the world being abused or neglected for doing nothing wrong. I believe that children should be treated with love and respect though their lifetime.