This I Believe In showing respect will help life have a more positive outcome

Jesse - Santa Maria, California

I believe that if I show respect then life will have a more positive outcome. This can mean showing respect for laws, other people, or even the world. When I do not show respect, I witnessed difficult struggles in life. Life seems frustrating when you have the law on your back, or hater’s not showing respect, or trash being dumped in our oceans and rivers. There is a better way to live, and I started by showing respect.

There are many laws out there that will have a negative effect if I don’t show the respect for and follow what is written down as a law. Sometimes people make mistakes and have to face the consequences. Some consequences are harsher than others, but they still have to be dealt with. I recently got my car towed away for parking in a tow away zone during a certain time. I was running late and wasn’t aware of the signs posted. The result was what seemed like never ending fees, which punctured through a dent that was already in my wallet. In the future, I am going to pay better attention to posted street signs and laws that apply.

It is kind of hard to believe when someone is showing respect for me when I catch them lying to me. It’s as well disappointing when people don’t respect someone because they don’t have the same background as you. Racism is still a problem today and I feel that it’s wrong to not show respect because of skin color or ethnic background. I respect other cultures and what differences they have. It is interesting to experience what other cultures have to offer. I like to try new things and everyone is different in their own ways, but we all fall in the same category as a human being.

I have respect for the world and its environment so I do my part by trying to recycle more and unplugging unused electrical equipment. Maybe I never notice before, but it seems as if it’s getting hotter ever year. Just this past weekend we witnessed record temperatures of one hundred and ten degrees. That never happens here in Santa Maria. I believe the lack of respect for the world is the reason why there’s been crazy weather like this. If I don’t do my part then I feel I am not doing enough to at least try and make the world a better place than it is today.

We have been facing obstacles since we were born. I have learned from mistakes and from what I was taught by my peers while growing up. No one said life was going to be easy, but we can make it healthier than what it is. Whether it’s picking up that wrapper you see lying in the street or talking out an unnecessary fight, showing respect will help us live in a more positive life.