I believe in Anonymity

Jason - Houston, Texas
Themes: humility

I travel relatively often for my job. The most amazing thing to me about travel is the sheer number of people I pass in anonymity: in the airport, on the roads, in the homes and buildings I fly over. I drive past parking lots filled with hundreds of vehicles and think that each of those has at least one person associated with them, none of whom I know. When we see someone we do know in an unexpected environment, it is a true shock.

It may seem obvious, but there are a lot of people on this Earth, the vast majority of whom we will never know. Modern life makes it seem like every life is valuable, and, to those who know you, it is. We can’t help but feel important in our familiar surroundings. But for the most part, we are anonymous and, like it or not, our lives won’t make much difference. How many times have we heard on the news that X number of people were killed in a bus crash, car bomb, tornado, cancer, etc.? The statistics regarding daily birth and death are amazing. Sadly, but honestly, the world will not miss us much when we are gone.

Nevertheless, I believe being anonymous to most makes the people we know that much more important. So when I arrive home and see my three young children, who know me and virtually no one else, I can’t help but feel special and love my anonymous meaningless little life.