True Beauty

Lauren - Newbury Park, California

True Beauty

I believe in true beauty. Not the beauty you find in gossip magazines, fashion shows, and blockbuster flicks. Not the beauty of gorgeous hair, luscious lips, or a slim figure. The beauty I believe in is the beauty inside every person. The beauty to be themselves, the beauty to help others, and the beauty to brighten a day.

As a child, I was always told that it doesn’t matter what you look like on the outside, what matters is that you are the best possible person you can be on the inside. This would be followed with a smile and a nod, like most responses would be throughout childhood and adolescence. Then one day as I was reading a book on Audrey Hepburn, an actress whom I adore. A poem was mentioned as being her personal favorite, a poem she lived by. I looked up that poem; it is by Sam Levenson, titled “Time Tested Beauty Tips.” I read it repeatedly, I even cried a little the first time. I wished everyone in the world could feel this way, I knew if everyone read the poem there wouldn’t be such things as anorexia or bulimia, or even plastic surgery. It speaks of real beauty; it is what I refer to when I need consoling or I give it to a friend when they’re feeling down on themselves.

What I find beautiful in people is their self-expression. When I see someone walking through the campus wearing something that is generally thought of as “weird” by their peers, or having their hair dyed an unnatural color, I think they’re beautiful. They don’t care what that boy next to the water fountain thinks, or that girl on the bench, they only care if they like it- that’s truly beautiful.

When I see girls who wear makeup to make themselves “prettier,” but they end up looking like the cosmetics counter exploded on them, it’s different. They’re not doing it for self expression they’re doing it because they feel they need to conform to society, like they need to be prettier than the girl next to them. When I see a girl without make-up, with frizzy hair, and baggy clothes, she’s beautiful, not the girl trying to be someone else. Being the real you; that’s truly beautiful.

Smile, laugh, hold a door open. I smile to everyone. A smile is so simple; it can make someone realize that his or her horrible Monday, isn’t that bad at all. I laugh at everything. Laughter really is the best medicine, just hearing a laugh will make someone else laugh. One small laugh will make any day better. Hold a door open for the person behind you, they’ll graciously thank you, and you’ll smile, and maybe even give a laugh for no reason. Smiling, laughing, and little things; those are truly beautiful.

True beauty is what I live by. True beauty is your attitude on life. True beauty is you. True beauty is me. True beauty is us.