How Things Need to Change.

Jacob - Grand Rapids, Michigan

While today’s education is falling by the waist side, we are more concentrated on the extra activities, like sports. There are more and more parents that are trying to get their kids in to sports due to the money that could be made or the scholarships that could be earned. The sad thing is, is that only one out of 13,000 high school students will never get paid to play these sports.

I believe that we have to be more concerned with the education in school, then the extra things. If they can’t handle the school work, than we have to pull them out of the sports. This is going to help them and our country when they get older.

I have seen teachers in college having to go back and re-teach the student the simple things that should have been taught in the public schools. This is just holding them back from learning the thing needed in the world. I feel that they should have to take extra classes to get up to the level of the others.

I am in a math class in college and it’s an algebra level class with twenty other students. I feel that I am not getting the knowledge that is supposed to be taught due to the level of all the other students. These students are holding me back and I feel that, if you get into college you should know the easy math. This math is working with fractions and slopes, that I was taught in eighth grade and I haven’t taken a math class in eight years. I felt like I should be the one struggling in this class but, to my surprise I am at the top.

So, we really have to make a stand on the education of our high school student. We have to put sports on the back burner and turn the focus back to the books. We have to use the technology given or be threatened to loss all our jobs to other countries.

I don’t want to make people think that I don’t like sports but, we have to look at our kid’s future. I played hockey for twelve years and loved it, but my school work did suffer for this though. I don’t want kids these days, to suffer later in life.