Live Savers

Ashley - Newbury Park, California

This I believe – that hugs can save lives. This is not supposed to sound like a cliché or an exaggeration. I have experienced this in my life and seen it in others. Life is so indescribably difficult when one has to go without hugs, you loose human contact, you loose a little bit of who you are. When I was in ninth grade all my friends abandoned me because they decided I was too much of a burden. The betrayal was enough on its own but what is worse is that I was left alone and slowly but surely sunk into a state of depression. This is not meant to be a tale of an overly dramatic teenage girl. I was saved, quite literally pulled out of my depression by the arms of my new, loving friends. These friends welcomed me into their lives and showered me with hugs. These influences in my life lead me to the things I love most in the world, my friends and my God. It may seem overly simplistic to say that it was the hugs that saved me but they did. It was from the open nature of my new group of friends and their willingness to show me they care that the unbreakable bonds originated. These friends were also Christian and that is how I was lead back to God. I realize that these life altering things can not be attributed to the simple action of a hug. But hugs are not just the action, they contain all the meaning and emotions put into that action. Hugs represent someone truly caring about another person and not being afraid to show them. By hugging someone you can show them how much you love them without having to struggle for words to describe it. I am not very good with words so hugs are my best tool to express the love I have for the people that are important to me. Hugs are one of the most forgotten about joys in life; people forget how important they are. It is like Joni Mitchell sings “don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone?” I had not really considered how vital hugs are to my life until I had to move again and leave them behind. The great thing about hugs is that they are everywhere you go; all you need is people who care about you and the hugs will be abundant. They will always be there to save your life.