Melissa - Ada, Michigan

I believe in the goodness of all people. I have learned to feel this way by the examples shown to me by my grandfather. I have been very close to my grandfather my entire life. I grew up hearing stories about his experiences in the Korean War and his career as a nurse at the Michigan Veteran’s Hospital. He was always the short, funny, bald guy who told horrible jokes, but he is the nicest person I have ever met and will ever meet.

My mother told me many stories about her childhood and how my grandfather was the best father she could have asked for. My grandfather was completely devoted to his family and would sacrifice everything to make their lives better. His outlook on life has always been to treat everyone with respect and be friendly to everyone he has ever met. My grandfather has always been the first person to help when someone is in need no matter the circumstance.

After I was born, my mother returned to work full-time. Luckily for me, my grandparents lived nearby and offered to take me into their home every day. I loved spending time with my grandfather. He was a child at heart and loved to play silly games with me. We would often go to the park and use our imaginations to come up with all kinds of adventures.

I am still close to my grandfather today and can count on him for anything. He is very interested in my schooling and gives me lots of support in everything I decide to pursue. He has traveled all over the world and has met many people but has never once said anything negative about anyone he has every met. I have never seen him lose his temper or let stress affect him. He will celebrate his 80th birthday next month, but he has not slowed down. I hope I have many more years to spend with my grandfather. Sometimes the world seems so crazy, but it is very reassuring to know that my grandfather is there for me.