Little Things Make A Difference

Kendra - Schenectady, New York

I believe in the little things that keep the world turning.

Many go through life questioning the reason for living. They think that they contribute nothing major in the world which shows they have no purpose. Yet this is the opposite. Everyone contributes to life, it is human nature. Most of the time our contributions are seen as minor and go unrecognized. They don’t move mountains, but it does create a wave in some ways.

As kids, we dream of having a position in the world where we make a difference. The dream of being an Alice Paul or even an Oprah, being recognized for our impact on the world we live. Yet when those dreams are destroyed by downer known as reality, it seems like we have no important role to play in society. It’s as if we are as useless as a tiny ant moving a big crumb. That is because our minds are sterilized in school. They teach us certain people do great things, and those great things are what make a difference in the world. We are told that working at Dunkin Donuts accomplishes nothing in the world. Yet, someone’s got to make the coffee America runs on. Someone’s got to clean the buildings we work in. We forget that holding the door for others is a matter of changing the outlook of their day, giving hope that there is kindness out there. It is like the movie “Pay it Forward”, where a little kid realized that one person can start a movement. He did something for three people, and then those people had to do the same for three more people. It reached the whole country, by the act of one person. The small gesture of one child lead to the happiness of many in the country.

Of course, striving to cure cancer or lend a helping hand for world peace is welcomed. I just think that there are other things we do everyday that are just as important. I can see the glow on my grandmother’s face when I help her with housework or listen to her stories of the good old days. I know that those simple actions matter to her. These little things that go unnoticed by me are the joys of her life. I feel that I have served my purpose by making her life a little easier. That is why I don’t understand why people take their lives, saying that there is no purpose for them in the world. One person is not just a speck in a sea of people. There will always be someone who will miss you, there will always be a life altered by your actions. No matter how great or how small.

If there is one thing I want people to remember, it is that the little things you do, they make a difference. Whether it is making someone smile, or sparing the life of an ant. It is possible to make a mountain out of a mole hill.