Acts of Civlity

Kenneth - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

This I believe …. simple acts of civility have the power to change our communities for the better.

Civility is not a word used much in casual conversation today. It conveys the idea of courtesy, or “polite acts or expressions.” We live in a hard world; we struggle day after day physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

When a kind word or random act of kindness can lift the spirit or replenish the soul, why would we want to withhold it? We all have experienced the sting of the unkind word, the negative intrusion into our existence. When we have the opportunity, we should take the moment to speak positive affirmation into another’s life.

It was said that, “We all live lives of quiet desperation”, and this is true. One of the implications in that statement is that everyone wants to be assured that someone notices their existence; someone truly cares.

If we consider ourselves civilized, we must be sensitive to the value inherent in everyone of our brothers and sisters we come in contact with day to day. Writing a check to a charitable organization is good, showing charity to the individual is better.

Civility has as its core the “Golden Rule”; do unto others as you would have them do to you. If you desire to have someone speak of the attributes they see and appreciate in you, if you want to be encouraged, then you have the responsibility to speak positively into the lives of the tired and poor of spirit.

One of the by-products of showing civility to others is that it makes you, the encourager, the bearer of civility, feel better too. When you lavish concern and attention on another’s life, when you mention a trait that you love in someone else, you can see their face; their countenance brighten and their body relax. Doesn’t this make you feel like a million dollars? In fact, in days of economic distress, one of the benefits of civility is that it makes you and the recipient feel better about life and it didn’t cost you a dime!

I want to be treated as a significant human being and so do you. Show a little civility to others and receive it back, with grace and gratitude.