Never Standing Still

Sarah - New Orleans, Louisiana
Themes: change, place

In high school I volunteered at several local nursing homes during there BINGO nights. I found that the residents were always trying to leave little bits of wisdom with me when I would sit with them. Sometimes it was stories about there childhood and other times it was stories about their children’s lives. One particular night I was paired up with an older lady. Even though I have forgotten her name I have never forgotten the advice she offered me that night. Travel, whenever you get a chance travel the world; never stand still for too long. Standing still is for the dead. She believed in traveling so much and was so passionate about the idea of experiencing new things that she made me promise to her that I would continue traveling and visiting new places until I became too old to do so anymore.

A couple of months past and I returned to the nursing home but the older lady was no longer there, she had passed away shortly after that night. When I think about my life today I am overcome with the many places I have been able to go to because my parents believed in traveling as well. So far I am proud to say that I have kept my promise to the lady at the nursing home. When I graduated from college I followed my boyfriend who had moved across the country to California. I truly believe that it is because I have become a believer in traveling my boyfriend is now my fiancée. We have moved back home after two years away. In those two years I traveled the western coast and made both memories and friends that will last a lifetime.

I believe traveling does something to a person. It opens them up to new ways of thinking about things and gives them a sense of being a part of something bigger. You do not have to travel the world to experience a new culture, see an amazing landmark, or meet new people. All of these exist in our own state. I intend on instilling in my children the idea of traveling and explain its importance in shaping their lives. Traveling has made all the difference in my life and I can speak for my fiancée when I say we can not wait to go to Jamaica for our honeymoon. I have never been that far away from home and I am looking forward to the adventures in store for us there. Traveling, it is what I believe in.