To Truly Love Unconditionally

LaToya - Williamsburg, Virginia
Themes: family, love

To Truly Love Unconditionally

I often wonder why love is so hard to define. To say you love someone is the easy part but to me to love unconditionally is where things become complicated. Unconditional love is the love that accepts the good and the bad, the positive and negative. I believe in the power of unconditional love. For me its power is a healing part of life and major influence for transformation.

If it wasn’t for unconditional love I do not know where I would be and how I could have made it in life. I learned about unconditional love from my grandmother at an early age. She never defined it with words; she just simply lived by what it is to truly love unconditionally. I was about eight years of age when my grandmother took my cousins and me into her home. My parents displayed behaviors that showed they were too immature to care for me. For example, I was grateful to my grandmother for running my bath water, helping me with my studies everyday and preparing my breakfast every morning after staying up all night waiting for my drug addict uncle, Bubba, to come home. Even when my uncle stole money from my grandmother and continued to use drugs, she still loved and defended him despite the family’s feelings on the matter. Even our grandfather didn’t understand the never-ending love that my grandmother had for her children and grandchildren and he eventually left and filed for divorce.

When my parents decided it was time to take me back from my grandmother and raise me, my grandmother let me go with them. Later, when they changed their minds she displayed her unconditional love again and was there to take me back into her home. My grandmother received no money from my parents or even a break, but she never complained. I then became pregnant at age 16 and she never turned her back on me. All she would say was to keep pushing forward.

Now that I am an adult, I have not forgotten the unconditional love she provided for me. I am the mother of a child with a disability. Of course I want him to be normal, and I wish things were easier. Yet, despite his differences I love him unconditionally. I love him with no strings attached, through the good, the bad, and with nothing in return. I owe my ability to love unconditionally to my grandmother; she is the one who showed me what it truly means. We live in a judgmental world but the “power” of unconditional love keeps many of us afloat. This I believe.