I Believe in Today

Mandi - Gretna, Louisiana
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living one day at a time. Even though I am only a young adult, I have already realized that any time spent dwelling on the past or incessantly worrying about the future is time that is wasted. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe that the past and the future are extremely important. Yet, all we can live for and enjoy is the present. If you don’t do so, life will just pass you by.

Being a student for the past eighteen years of my life, I have had huge amounts of work dumped onto my lap. I constantly thought about how in the world it would all get done. Somehow it always was all completed when the time came. I used to let it consume me with constant anguish, and I saw that I was missing opportunities to travel, have fun, and just live. I realized that it was just not worth it. I wasn’t happy, and if you are not happy, then you are not living.

I have never been late on an assignment, but I have never been finished early either. Some people may call it procrastinating, but I simply say that it is enjoying life. Everything will get done, even if it requires staying up all night the hours before something is due. But for me, going out with my friends or watching a movie with my family is worth sacrificing a few hours of sleep. I am not saying that I ever ditch schoolwork, but I never stop living and enjoying life. I believe that living one day at a time is all about balancing your schedule.

Without time to just enjoy life, I would go crazy. People have questioned me my whole life about how I was valedictorian but managed to always attend the birthday party, the night on the town, or the dinner with friends. I would just reply that it is all about balance. I don’t think people give themselves enough credit sometimes. If you know that you have set the time aside to do what needs to get done, then go out and enjoy the day. Really, it is all that you have. If your life ended tomorrow, wouldn’t you want to say that you had a really awesome day today? Or at least that you did something you enjoyed in that day? It is a simple concept but one that people forget about so often in today’s on-the-go, fast-paced society.

So, take the time to breathe. Go to work, but make sure that you enjoy your coworkers. Make sure that you love your job because you have to go there daily. Play with your dog. Spend time with your children. Procrastinate. Stay out all night. Dance crazy. Take a nap. Study the night before. Give yourself credit for your abilities. Tell people that you love them. Be happy in the moment. Live for today.