Education Can Change the World

Tristan - Seattle

In this I believe: I believe that the power of education can change the world. After dropping out of school repeatedly, I recently graduated from Evergreen State College – Tacoma campus with a bachelors degree. Evergreen Tacoma serves untraditional and marginalized students and through my experience there I learned how education can change lifes. The […]

In this I believe: I believe that the power of education can change the world. After dropping out of school repeatedly, I recently graduated from Evergreen State College – Tacoma campus with a bachelors degree. Evergreen Tacoma serves untraditional and marginalized students and through my experience there I learned how education can change lifes. The piece of paper I recieved will open doors for me, but more importantly my educational experience opened my eyes and heart to the world and has given me the confidence to succeed.

Once we obtain enough confidence in ourselves, then Evergreen teaches, and I believe, it is our responsibility to help uplift everyone around us. Enter to learn, depart to serve. It is easy to feel powerless against the entities ruling the world, and the cycles of disparity they create for us, but as Jarrod Diamond says in Collapse, “It shoud also be understood that bottom-up approaches are essential to create paradigm shifts”. We are the change and we must, as my professors tell me, engage the process. But, in order to engage the process, we must first understand the process and so access to education is imperative.

Through out history people with special needs, with undesirable circumstances, people of color, of poverty, of minority… have been denied equal access to education and then blamed for their ignorance.

Education erases oppression. It lifts people out of poverty, it puts minorities in positions of power, it gives people hope and ability to empower themselves and those around them. The issue of access to eductaion for all people, especially those of marginilized populations is quintessential to address because the students of today are the leaders, the decision makers and the caregivers of tomorrow. We must all work to remove the barriers and bridget the gaps that stand in the way of access to education. We must believe in the infinite possibilities of all people. We must give many chances and create many opportunities.

The Art of the Long View states, “All you need is one person to believe in you”. Because I have been believed in and given academic opportunity, I now believe in myself. I believe I can empower other people to succeed. And I believe that WE, together, can change the world through education. In this I believe.