There isn’t anything to believe in.

James - Kyle, Texas

I believe that there isn’t a point in believing anything. What is there to believe in? God and life, or love and hate. That we are in control of what happens to us, or that anyone is in control of anything.

Many people believe in a greater being, let it be God or whatever your religion believes. But God is just a comforter, an answer to questions that can not necessarily be proven wrong, or so people can mask themselves with hope that they are not the reason their life sucks. Cavemen didn’t know why things happened. He didn’t know why lightning struck the ground or why the sun would rise and set everyday. So he had to think of an answer. He knew he could not do such phenomenon, but they were too awesome for something lesser that himself to create. So some “greater being” must be up there, getting angry and flooding the valley, and have the strength to carry that ball of fire through the sky.

So then, what else is there to believe in? What about life in general? What is life? Life is just stimulus and chemical reactions in our brain and body. Molecules acting with and against each other. We are no more “important” than the trees and grass in the field, or even the water and rocks in the river. When we feel emotions, like love or hate, what is happening? Someone is acting a certain way, and our brains release chemicals. When your crush since 6th grade walks by you in the hallway, your heart starts to beat faster and your mind starts racing. Then, later that day, you watch as people try to flirt with her (or him), and all you want to do is go over there and beat the crap out of them. What just happened? Its just reactions, nothing else. Your sensory organs send electrical signals to your brain, which stimulates certain regions, which then release more signals carried to the rest of your body. When you go over there and punch the guy in the face, everyone else sees and their body does the same routine.

If there’s nothing to believe in, then where do I get opinions from? My influences (which could be anyone and anything) cause me to believe in things. I do “believe” that everything happens for a reason. I was born in a Christian family, so I have this feeling that someone is there. Even though I do not think there is a real purpose for “life”, that does not mean I am going to waste the one I have. Why not just fit in with everyone else and make their lives better, instead of burdening them with my “screw it” attitude. Just because there is no such thing as “happy” doesn’t mean I’m not going to be.