Justice or Revenge?

Casey - San Marcos, Texas

I believe the term ‘an eye for an eye’ is inhumane.

Why do people believe that it’s okay to get even with the people that hurt, humiliate, or even trouble them? In movies, in the streets, in music and at school there’s always people who want revenge on others for unrealistic reasons. When the people decide that they want to get even, they take it a step farther to prove something. Do they try to prove that maybe they’re better? Or that they deserve what they get for what they did?

I remember I was in the 8th grade and there was a girl who was jumped in the middle of the hallway between passing periods. The two other girls who jumped her threw her to the ground and started kicking her. There was no place that they didn’t kick. They started at her stomach, then one made her way to the legs while the other kicked her face. It was pretty bad. When the teachers asked the girls why they jumped her, they simply said they did it because the girl made fun of them. I don’t know if that’s completely true because as I recall the girl who was jumped was generally a nice, kind person. Did the girls jump her to feel better? To better themselves? Only they know.

Getting even, and getting justice are two completely different things. This I Believe, an eye for an eye isn’t the way to live life. Is it okay to take money from your parent’s wallets because they have a job and they’ll get more? Is it okay to make children smaller than you cry because older people made you cry when you were younger? Is it okay to kill someone because someone else killed your brother, sister, aunt, uncle, or anyone you love? The answer to these questions is simple. No it’s not okay.

You know the difference between what’s right, and what’s wrong. You know the difference between good and bad. You can‘t live your life in vain, because of something someone else did to you. Why can’t you forgive the things people have done? Why can’t you move on and get on with your life?

But then again, who am I to tell you how you should and shouldn’t live your life? Who am I to tell you what’s wrong and right, what’s good and bad? I’m someone who believes that an eye for and eye, getting revenge and getting even isn’t the way to live MY life.