Julia - Manchaca, Texas

I believe in the kindness of strangers. I believe this because so many different people, whom I don’t know, have helped me countless of times. It’s like I have become so dependent on it because I rely almost every day on someone else to do the right thing and help out a stranger in need. I know I make it sound like I am handicapped, but I’m not. I’m just like any average teenage girl you would see walking down the street. I have grown so dependent on the kindness of strangers for the littlest things in my life. Like in school, on the road, and even at my job.

The acts of kindness many strangers carry out, that help me as well as many others, aren’t, and don’t have to be, over the top, blow you across the room kind of a thing. Simple things like opening a door for someone, holding the elevator, or picking up what someone else dropped are easy yet so significant. It is the simplest of things that make the stranger doing a simple charitable act of kindness seem so extraordinary.

In my art class last year, as well as this year, I have had to carry countless pieces of my art work back and forth, which means walking in and out of doors all around campus most of the day with big, little, heavy, or even multiple pieces of art. And I don’t know if you have ever had to do this, but if you are carrying art you have to hold it with both hands or, in my case since I have what I like to call really bad luck, but others would call it being a klutz, it might fall on the floor and someone might step on it, or it might tear, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Have you tried to open a door with a piece of artwork in both hands that is bigger than you are? Well let me tell you, trying to open a door with just your mind power doesn’t work out so well. It is at this point in time when you see the true character of people. Will they hold the door open for you and wait for you and your art to fit through the door or will they completely ignore you while they open the door just big enough for just them to fit through? More often than not I find that people do hold the door open for me and my art.

The dictionary defines kind as of sympathetic or helpful nature. When I think of the kindness of strangers the definition, for me, will always be ordinary people doing simple things to help out someone in need, and that act of kindness meaning the world to the people they are helping. This I believe.