i believe that it’s wrong to get drunk

stephanie - buda, Texas

I believe that it is wrong to get drunk. Being young and naïve I don’t know what it’s like to get drunk, but I never want to know the feeling. I see how my parents are with me and I love them for not wanting to drink. When I was eight, I remember going to a party with my parents, not a big party just a little gathering, and seeing everyone else’s parents getting drunk. I was thinking why aren’t my parents doing the same thing as them. Now I have realized that at that party my parents made the right choice knowing that they have kids and a family to come back home to. This I believe is a very serious matter because when children see their parents drinking they think its ok when really it’s just plain stupid. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to have my parents come home every night drunk and wasted, and then driving after they have been drunk. That would pretty much tear any family apart. When ever you drink and drive you threaten the people’s lives that are on the road driving and the lives of the people that are in your car. No one can ever imagine how the people who lose someone to drunk driving feel.

Now, being 14 and seeing all of my friends getting drunk and hearing what happens and how much fun it is to them. I realize that I don’t want to be like them. I can have fun in my own way, with different friends, who don’t drink. I want to be my own individual person who can have fun with out alcohol and drugs. What my friends don’t realize is that in order to have fun you don’t need alcohol and drugs, but I have realized it. So far, in my life, I haven’t been around alcohol to really experience how it messes up your life, but knowing what it does to my friends just makes me want to stay away from it more. I really wish that I could convince my friends to stay away from alcohol, but now that they are into alcohol they really aren’t my friends anymore. They aren’t the same as they used to be.

I feel very strongly about not drinking at all through my life because I have heard the tremendous things that it has done to families, and I would never want my family to go through that. Plus with alcohol comes driving, throwing up, headaches, and depression. Experiencing all of these things at once would be too much for me to handle and I never want to go through it. All of this is why I believe that it isn’t right to get drunk.