I Believe that Blood is Not Thicker than Water

Anne Marie - Tickfaw, Louisiana
Themes: family, love

Adopted around two weeks of age, I was given a gift that I would not understand until I become wiser and older. I have been blessed with a mother, father, grandparents on both sides, a brother, and a few cousins who never cared what my bloodline happened to be. Real family are the persons who do not just speak, but behave regularly in a caring and respectful manner. Real family or “blood” as some say cannot be found in DNA, but in our actions and inactions with the people we claim to care for most. Real Love and True Family are where the thickness can be found.

I am twenty nine years old now and can say that I do not know the meaning of the cliché saying “blood is thicker than water”, but I do know what it is like to have genuine family members and authentic friends who honor me as a person for who I am, what I do, and what they believe I am capable of.

My mother, father, and family members have shown me a love and care that I believe runs through my veins and affects my interactions with others and with myself in a positive way and on a daily basis. They have instilled character, morals, ethics, gratitude, compassion, a business sense, and a kindness that is unique and stems from all they have given and shown. Although they did not create me biologically, they have each had hands in molding the clay of the person I am by leading with examples, positive correction backed with love, and never cruelty or violence.

Almost thirty years of age, I cannot say that I know what it is like to be related to someone by blood, but I do know how to honor others for who they are. I do know how to care for other human beings, to give of myself expecting nothing in return, to listen without judgment, to be good to and honor people in their various places in life, and how to accept and receive that care in return.

Almost thirty years of age, I cannot say that I know what it is like to be related to someone by blood, but I do know what it is to be truly cared for and loved under all conditions, believed in, and worthy of love, care, and respect from others. This has not come from blood family relations, it has come from the real meaning of Family. It comes from the persons who made a choice, perhaps long before I was born, to give of themselves to another human being as if they were their own blood relative. So, when someone says blood is thicker than water I can’t help but wonder what they truly mean to say, for I believe that blood is not thicker than water… Real Love and True Family are where the thickness can be found.