I believe in freedom

Crystal - Greensboro, North Carolina

This I believe

I believe in freedom to live life without threat, intimidation and fear. I believe women should live without fear of abuse, crime or rape. I believe children should only know love. I believe that little boys should not have to fear growing up because they may have to fight or die for their country. I believe mothers should rock their sons and not live in fear that our President will someday rob their son from the cradle. I believe little girls should grow up without fearing darkness, loneliness or what true intimacy should really be like. I believe fathers should be able to promise their little girls that as women they will always be equal to men, safe from harms way, and they will always be treated like a lady. I believe that women should be able to live without the threat of pornography stilling away their intimate relationships with their husbands. I believe we should be able to go to work each day without wondering if our building will be attacked by a terrorist as on 9/11.

As a young child, I became exposed to differences shaped by gender and how it shapes the potters clay of who we grow into as young women. Even at a young and unconscious level, I was still aware of my place in the world in relation to my father and my brother. My unconscious awareness fostered even more vulnerability. In the essay “Fear of Feminism” Hogeland discusses how “Gender consciousness takes two forms: awareness of women’s vulnerability and celebration of women’s difference” (Hogeland, 718).

Where does a little girl find a balance in her identity when her mother is controlled by a male power machine and she is surrounded by a male dominated environment? I grew up trying to find my identity as a little girl. Every little girl deserves one; an identity. Intimacy is not just with others but also within us. I never realized as that little girl, I was supposed to love myself. Perhaps I needed someone to just tell me or show me. “Intimate relationships become the testing ground for identity, a reality that has enormously damaging consequences for teenage girls in particular” (Hogeland, 719).

This I believe; that little girls, teenage girls, adult ladies and mature ladies should be able to create their identities, have intimacy and live without fear. That our world should not only be for certain genders but for both genders and safety, security and freedom should be equal for all. This I believe!

Hogeland, Lisa. “Fear of Feminism.” Women’s voices, Feminist Visions. Eds. Susan McGraw and Janet Lee. Boston: McGraw Hill. 2007. 718-719.