Eating the Pain Away

Brittany - Reston, Virginia

Eating the Pain Away

I believe in lemon raspberry cream, Glenda believes in dulce de leche caramel, and Ana believes in white chocolate raspberry truffle. I see the method of eating my pain away as a great thing because it brings me closer to my best friends. Oh, and with cheesecake we believe in a huge dollop of whipped cream on the side. If I’m the one in need of the trip, I’ll usually pick at my fresh strawberry lying on top of my cheesecake despite my minor allergic reaction. Boy Drama? Stressed about work? Family Problems? These situations call for a trip to the local Cheesecake Factory.

After talking on the phone for three hours three-way, we always come up with the conclusion to bury our problems at the Cheesecake Factory. Occasionally our trip will have derived from a desperate “bestie” (best friend) in need of a night out. Rarely will one of us say that we can’t make it because we know that if one of us requests cheesecake then she probably needs it desperately for survival.

The Cheesecake Factory captures our inner most problems and gossip. It is our home away from home where we go to seek comfort. We promise one another that no boys are ever allowed at the restaurant to ensure that they won’t hear their names bouncing off the walls from our last visit.

We slide onto the cool benches and take position for the smooth yet bumpy ride. Bumpy because some of the issues discussed may be difficult, but smooth once we devour our cheesecake.

When the waiter comes, we have him believe we will be ordering one of their expensive meals to get free bread. We also get water, not only because it’s free, but also because it will be most soothing to our throats while eating our cheesecake.

We sit back and relax, some of us sitting cross legged, and others lounging on the person beside them. We toast our spoons and then one by one, we announce our situations to one another and then individually scoop our issues away. Whether our method of healing is predominately better for our souls or detrimental to our health we are unsure. Shoot, gaining weight will only give us another issue to be depressed about and call for a trip to the Cheesecake Factory.

I believe that eating my pain away is a great thing, because it brings me closer to my best friends. Our bond is strengthened as we huddle at the table and devour our issues together with spoonfuls of cheesecake. The specific details of our scoops we leave at the factory, along with the few crumbs we are not able to scrape off our plates. Before departing, we hug one another and ironically look forward to another quest back to the Cheesecake Factory. I believe in lemon raspberry cream.