Tasha - Los Angeles, California

I went through some very rough times in my freshman year. I have grown and learned and have been able to give my friends some very good advice, well actually, I give good advice to people in general now from all of the mistakes I have made. But since I have been making recovery to become a better person these last 8 months, I have learned something that I am trying to use in my everyday life now. I believe in listening to the advice I give other people, and using the same advice for myself.

Once my mother told me, that the best advice comes from yourself. I then realized thats what I really needed to do. With all of the hard times that I have gone through such as losing trust from my parents, and my friends, and other people who are close to me. One day I actually used the advice that I had given to someone else.

My friend came up to me one day and told me a story about how her and her mother were always fighting. I told her that she really needed to take a moment to herself and put herself in her moms shoes. She also needed to understand that sometimes parents will ground us, or make us do something we don’t want to because they believe thats what’s best for us.

When I gave that advice to my friend, I realized that I really needed the to use the same advice I had given my friend. So I took the advice and talked to my mom, I told her that I fully understood why she grounded me and what her concerns were. I have become more aware that she does stuff for me because she cares about me and wants to see me do my best, she doesn’t do stuff to put me through pain even though it may feel like it at times.

Another piece of advice I had given once was when my sister started to follow in my footsteps. I told my sister to look and figure out why she was doing the things she was doing. She was literally becoming a mini me, and I didn’t want her to see what I was going through and what I went through.

I believe in listening to your own advice that you give people can help you throughout your whole life. It has helped me get through the hardest of times, and I hope that even the advice I’ve given in this essay will help people just as much as its helped me. By listening to your own advice you get an amazing understanding of the person you are, and how you became that person. Only your wisdom and knowledge can help you through everything. Its good to give advice, but the reason why you might really be giving it is because its for yourself. This is why I believe in listening to the advice I give other people, and using the same advice for myself.