Pain Brings Wisdom

leslie - bluffton, South Carolina

He who learns must suffer

And even in our sleep

Pain that cannot forget,

falls drop by drop upon the heart

and in our own despair, against our own will

comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

-Aeschylus

I believe that God allows us to make mistakes so that we learn from them, and unfortunately with mistakes comes tragedy. One could think of life as a constant practice in which we learn from our mistakes, so that we can reach perfection step by step. Even our leaders and great humanitarians were not born perfect; instead I believe that they took their faults and the faults of society and turned it into something positive.

After Martin Luther King’s death, Bobby Kennedy made his famous speech in which he quoted Aeschylus. To me this speech can apply not only to that tragedy, but to any event in our lives. After the death of a fellow student, Josh; who was killed in a car accident by a drunken illegal immigrant. I went back to listen to Kennedy’s speech and was truly touched. I realized that the same racism that existed in the sixties still exists now. The only difference now is that racism is buried with hypocrisy and applied to those in the constant fight to be accepted in a new society because their motherland could not fulfill their simple needs such as shelter and nourishment.

We can choose to fall into ignorance and blame a race for an individuals fault; or we can receive the wisdom that God is granting us, to find a solution to the problem and become a better society. I have seen violent acts committed to the search of peace and equality, which is highly ironic for me as well as disappointing. This is because it is almost as if a great majority of the country missed out on a decade of our history, and learned nothing from it. MLK fought hard to keep peace and protested in a way that avoided violence and although he was killed by a white supremacist, he thought us that things can be accomplished with peace and harmony. Josh gave people a feeling of equality and that is the way he will forever be remembered, so why is it that now people who speak out for him choose to be filled with hatred leading us toward the wrong path; knowing that the road of peace has already led us to success.

I believe that all the problems in the sixties and Josh’s passing away should allow wisdom to illuminate our hearts and the lessons to penetrate our minds of this society.

And as Robert Kennedy said” we can make an effort, as Martin Luther King did, to understand and to comprehend, and to replace that violence, that stain of bloodshed that has spread across our land, with an effort to understand with compassion and love” to become an un-polarized society, that can be able to learn from it’s mistakes relying not only on its economy but also on it’s people.