I believe in humanitarianism

Lhens - Bridgeport, Connecticut

I believe in humanitarianism

I believe that everyone in the world has a responsibility to either make the life of someone better or to leave the world a better place. I came from Haiti, the poorest country in North America. I encountered many problems in Haiti, but I believe I was fortunate, I was not making a living in the streets like many of the other nine, ten, or eleven-year olds. No matter how bad I was, there was always someone worse than me. Sometimes I would get kicked out of school because the bill wasn’t yet paid, but some of these kids had never been in a classroom.

Since Haiti wasn’t offering my brother and I much, my family encouraged my father who had been living here for a few years to enter us in the United States where we had a better chance for education. When I arrived at Kennedy Airport I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the United States, with all the skyscrapers; I thought the Washington Bridge was the greatest wonder. While riding home, I was wondering if Haiti was ever going to look like that or if any of my family members will ever be able to see anything as amazing. Then, I realized that their hopes are anticipated on us.

When I entered school in the United States, I saw all the opportunities that students have to go to College and become the best they could be. But I was disheartened when I saw that many students didn’t appreciate these opportunities. I started thinking about my family, and how grateful they would be to have these opportunities and how great they would turn out to be if they had the advantages of the kids in the United States.

I don’t believe in humanitarianism because I was once helped, but I believe in it because I see that I owe my family in Haiti. And I think that it is an obligation of everyone in the world to help people and in helping people you will also receive help. My family helped me come here to be the best I can be, and once I am that person I will turn to them to return what they did for me and help everyone else that I can.

During my junior year in high school I joined a program called Building with Books. This program was working on changing the world and by doing community service in its own community and sending kids to third world countries to help build schools for illiterate children. Fortunately, I was selected as one of the students to go to Mali, a poor country in West Africa. This experience had a tremendous impact on me. While working on building the school I had the chance to meet some of the kids that would be going to the school. I was greatly impressed by the kids; I saw great potential in them. Although uneducated they showed great signs of intelligence and their hard works gave them unbelievable strength. This experience made me realize that food and money is not the best thing we can give them, but a better hand to advance their society. If these children had education, if their parents had jobs they would quickly advance and become independent.

I believe that everyone in the world can make a positive change in the world. It doesn’t matter if you help one little kid or a thousand people. I believe that everybody has an obligation to leave this world a better place. Even if you influence one person, that one person might influence another, and the other might influence millions. Millions of people are suffering worldwide and if it was us in their place we would want and anticipate help from them, so let’s start in our own community and then it will evolve all around the world. In Africa these kids reminded me of myself when I was in Haiti, very smart but yet very despondent. They are full of potential and with the necessary help I do believe they will be able to succeed and provide for their families and make change in Africa.