The Soul of a Shoe

Madeleine - Chatham, New Jersey

The Soul of a Shoe

I BELIEVE IN SHOES and the power they have to influence the world.

As a young child I was always barefoot playing outside in the grass, the dirt, and the concrete patio. I cannot tell you how many times my mom has taken a hose to my feet before letting me back inside. From mud to blood, my feet became icons of my innocence to the dirty world. After the hundredth bandage on my feet, I decided to wear shoes.

Wearing shoes was a new world to me; even stranger than ‘i before e except after c.’ Like this spelling rule, my mom taught me the basics of shoes. “You can never have too many good shoes,” and, “There is nothing worse than not having shoes that go with your outfit.” Shoes show where you’ve been, where you’re going, what you need, and desire. In this, shoes become the epitome of the wearer… or vice versa.

The main reason why we wear shoes is to obviously protect our feet, but this cannot be the only reason for if it were, everyone would wear army boots. We all have different shoes because of what is in our heads and our hearts. For different occasions, we require different types of shoes but it is up to the wearer to determine whether to conform to the environment or to stand out. Shoes can become masks to conceal our true selves for fear of rejection or perhaps approval. Those who venture to the risky world that is of him or her self will find that their choice of shoes can illustrate different personality traits to others much better than conversation. The type of shoe indicates specific traits such as a stiletto wearer being confident; slip on heels being elegant; and flip-flops being relaxed. I also think that shoes make us feel differently about ourselves. When I wear certain shoes I stand up straighter, have more confidence, feel beautiful, and strong.

By looking at a pair of shoes, we cannot only infer the character of the one who owns the shoes but their experiences and goals. I have a pair of pink wedge heels, which have toe imprints on them but have not seen the light of day. They have only gotten use in front of the mirror for they are waiting to be worn in Paris this summer. I am a dreamer with my first pair of wedge heels during the winter. I wish to walk the Paris streets radiating my self-confidence feeling beautiful and three inches taller.

I love my shoes and cherish every time I put a pair on. The best part about wearing shoes is when I get a compliment on a pair, I feel as though they were admiring my personality and what is in my heart. I believe that with all the possibilities a pair of shoes presents to a person they will take advantage of them and change the world one step at a time.