I Believe That Tattoos are More Than Just Fashion.

Sean - Guadalupe, California

Tattoos are beautiful with their detailed shapes and vibrant colors, but a tattoo is more than just that. A tattoo has much more to it that what on the outside; it has a story and value to the person that it’s on. Some tell stories of a person’s life, and others show pride in where a person is from. Many tattoos are created in dedication to a person that is still alive, or that has passed away, and there are some that are dedicated to a pet. For example DMX, he has a tattoo of his dog’s face on his back. How about the sparrow, they’re a common tattoo amongst men and women. Most sparrows are done for looks with a vibrant blue on the wings and maybe a red and white on the belly, but do you know what a sparrow means? Traditionally a sparrow was a sailor’s tattoo; they got it every time they would travel 50,000 nautical miles. But more resent customs are to show love, when a sparrow finds a mate there mates for life. Or what about the popular star tattoo, depending on how many points the star has or how the points are arranged it will have different meanings. The traditional star tattoo with five points starting with one on top is a symbol for the divine spark in each of us. There’s also the nautical star, this one too originated from the seas. Sailors used the stars to navigate and would get that nautical star to show that, but they would also get it for hopes that the stars would guide them home safely.

Getting a tattoo because it looks cool isn’t a very good reason to get one; you have to remember its going to be there for the rest of your life. Take mine for example I have a Koi fish starting mid way on my right breast going over my shoulder with my grandfathers family crest by the tail that ends on my shoulder blade. I got this peace in dedication to my dad; two years ago my father was hospitalized with a heart illness that took my grandmothers life. At the time his heart was only working at 38%, but so far his condition is doing better now with his heart working at over 48%. A Koi is a symbol for power and in my eyes my father is the strongest person I know.

A tattoo is more than just a peace of artwork or ink in the skin that looks nice, it’s more than just a sparrow or a fish. It’s a memory, it’s an I love you that never goes away, it’s an expression deeper than what is seen through the eyes outside of the beholder. A tattoo is more than just fashion.