I Believe in Myself

Cody - Santa monica, California

I believe in myself. When I say this, I mean to say I understand who I am and what I want. I have a clear perspective of my personal morals and beliefs. Many kids have no idea what they want in life at my age. Some do not even care. I do. I believe that if I focus on just myself, just what I want, just what I need to keep myself happy in this tough world, that is all that matters. Life is hard enough as it is, worrying about what other people think of me should be the last thing I ever think about.

The people who judge me for persevering though the hardships in my life do not understand me. I choose to work when times get rough, not go smoke a joint with my old middle school acquaintances. It did not take much time for me to comprehend the fact that if you give up, you let yourself down, especially if you are capable of fulfilling your goal. I began to realize I can and will actually accomplish everything that I want in life by just believing in myself. Of course from time to time, I get down on myself for silly mistakes, but who doesn’t?

I remember a time in the fifth grade when an ignorant little boy told me I would never become an actress, that I would never be good enough. After I heard his remark, I felt a pain I had never felt before. As I walked home from school that day, I realized that he was the first person to ever tell me I would NEVER be able to do something. That was the first day I started to look down on myself. Today, I look back on that experience and laugh at the idea that the boy had once hurt my feelings. What did he know? Unlike his personal opinion, I have become a working actress with a recurring role on a hit television show. If you take the time to think about it, you yourself can honestly achieve any dream.

There is a time in every person’s life when they say to themselves, are you kidding me? I love the fact that I can say to myself, I believe in me. I believe I can do whatever it takes to get there. Instead of saying to yourself I “want”, exchange that unpredictable word into I “WILL”. I will go to college, I will get married, I will have a family, I will get an Academy Award…well you get the idea. Although certain aspects in life are difficult to reach, you have to understand that you have just a big a chance as any hopeful person out there. You have to convey to yourself who you are, and when you do others will see you too.

This I believe.