True Friendship

Juliette - San Diego, California

I believe in true friendship. I have been very fortunate to gain several amazing friendships throughout my life. I have learned so much about friendship; mainly, that true friendship relies on good communication and a willingness to confront each other when there are problems. I have had my ups and downs with friends, which I learned are normal. At first, I thought a confrontation might break a friendship since I had a few bad experiences while living in California, but I have come to find out that true friendships last for ever, no matter what.

What led me to finally realize this was a bad falling out with a girl named Danielle. I had just moved from Germany to Los Angeles and was eager to make some friends. Right away I made several friends, especially one named Danielle. We did many exciting things together such as event planning, snowboarding and wake boarding.

Danielle and I became very close; I thought she was one of my best friends until I received the lead role in a play called “Retail.” Danielle said that it had always been her dream to act and that she would come and support me in the play since she had nothing planned. After the play, I went all over looking for her, exited to see what she had thought of “Retail.” That is when I got some bad news. A mutual friend, Katie, walked up to me saying that Danielle had left due to prior arrangements with friends at a bar. This was very discouraging to me, so I called Danielle to see what was going on, but received no answer.

A few months later, I ran into Katie and asked why Danielle was ignoring all of my calls. Katie told me that Danielle just shuts people out when it comes to confrontation and that she did not want to deal with it. That was very saddening to me since I could not understand how I could lose a friend over something so small. What hurt the most is that I never got an explanation from Danielle, and for months I was afraid of any sort of confrontation amongst me and my friends. It has been two years and I still have not heard from Danielle.

It took a few good friends of mine to make me realize that friendship is not based on a non-confrontational relationship. Although many others have had this problem, it is the real and true friends that always stick together. Most all friendships undergo some sort of confrontation or arguments. It is the sake of communicating with one another and talking things out that make a friendship strong. It took me a while to re-believe this, but due to my many good friends that have lasted through confrontations after Danielle, I am convinced that true friendships last for ever, no matter what.